Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain some affiliate links, which means when you click, I get a small percentage of the purchase at no extra cost to you. This allows me to keep this website running, so feel free to click away! You can read my entire Affiliate Disclosure here.
Is Alaffia Cruelty-Free?
Alaffia has confirmed that they are 100% cruelty-free.
They don’t test their ingredients or final products on animals, and they don’t sell their products where animal testing is required by law.
Is Alaffia Vegan?
Alaffia is not a 100% vegan brand, but they have many vegan products.
Current Alaffia products that contain one or more of the animal-derived ingredients listed: honey, beeswax, bee pollen, propolis, royal jelly, and keratin. The products listed below are NOT vegan.
- Authentic Black Soap Body Wash Turmeric Ginger
- Authentic Black Soap Body Wash Charcoal & Honey
- ABS Black Label Lavender Ylang Ylang
- ABS Black Label Tangerine Citrus
- ABS Black Label Eucalyptus Tea Tree
- Africa’s Secret All-in-1 Skin Treatment
- Baobab Baby All-Over Balm Chamomile
- Africa’s Secret Lip Scrub Tonka Vanilla
- Africa’s Secret Lip Butter Tonka Vanilla
Is Alaffia Certified Cruelty-Free?
Yes, Alaffia is certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny.
Is Alaffia Owned By A Parent Company That Tests On Animals?
No, Alaffia is not owned by a parent company that tests on animals.
Is Alaffia Sold in Mainland China?
No, Alaffia is not sold in mainland China.
Animal Testing is required by law in China for all foreign cosmetics companies. All American and European cosmetic brands that are sold in China must undergo animal testing.
Any brand that chooses to sell its products in China cannot be considered cruelty-free.
Even products that can bypass mandatory tests may still be pulled from the shelves by Chinese authorities to be tested on animals.
Alaffia is a clean, plant-based, and fair-trade beauty and personal care brand on a mission to help alleviate poverty and advance gender equality in West Africa. Founded by Togolese native, Olowo-n’djo Tchala, the organization curates unique indigenous natural ingredients, including handcrafted unrefined shea butter, African black soap, and baobab oil, to address the spectrum of hair and skin care needs. Alaffia’s award-winning bath, body care, hair care, facial skincare, and babies & kids products are made without common synthetic ingredients like sulfates, parabens, phthalates, silicones, or artificial fragrances to deliver nourishing self-care for the whole family.
Email to the Company
Before classifying any brand as cruelty-free and vegan, I send them an email with the following questions.
- Are your products vegan? If only some are vegan, which ones?
- Are any of your products or ingredients tested on animals?
- Do you have a Leaping Bunny or PETA certification?
- Do your suppliers or any third parties test animals on your behalf?
- Does your company sell products in mainland China (except for Hong Kong and online sales)?
- Are you owned by a parent company that tests on animals?
This is how Alaffia responded:
Thank you for reaching out to us! Here at Alaffia, we are proudly cruelty-free and do not support animal testing of any kind. At this time, we are not certified by Leaping Bunny or PETA. We are currently focusing our certifications towards our Fair Trade practices to concentrate on maintaining long-term and trusting relationships with our members and the social empowerment of the Togolese communities where our cooperatives are located. Our current certifications include Good Manufacturing Practices, For Life, Fair for Life, and Minority Business Enterprise. I have provided a list on non-vegan ingredients and products below.
Current Alaffia products that contain one or more of the animal-derived ingredients listed: honey, beeswax, bee pollen, propolis, royal jelly, and keratin
- 251 – Authentic Black Soap Body Wash Turmeric Ginger
- 252 – Authentic Black Soap Body Wash Charcoal & Honey
- 278 – ABS Black Label Lavender Ylang Ylang (Korea)
- 279 – ABS Black Label Tangerine Citrus (Korea)
- 280 – ABS Black Label Eucalyptus Tea Tree (Korea)
- 290 and 291 – Africa’s Secret All-in-1 Skin Treatment
- 1174 – Baobab Baby All-Over Balm Chamomile
- 1115 – Africa’s Secret Lip Scrub Tonka Vanilla
- 1116 – Africa’s Secret Lip Butter Tonka Vanilla
We are currently offering ecommerce internationally, including in China. We do not have a parent company and there are no 2nd or 3rd party suppliers that test our products. Our headquarters are located in Olympia, WA. I hope that helps!
Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.
**This email was sent in 2021, so some answers may have changed. We have updated all of the correct answers in the sections above “Email to the Company.”
Read More About Living Cruelty-Free and Vegan:
- 100% Cruelty-Free and Vegan Brands
- List of Officially Cruelty-Free Brands
- Companies That Test on Animals
- The Complete List of Vegan Documentaries on Netflix
- Vegan Handbag Brands