Alfredo sauce is something that is normally far from vegan or healthy due to the fact that it is mostly cream, butter, and cheese. I could make a vegan version out of vegan cream, butter, and cheese but that wouldn’t be healthy. I’m definitely okay in indulging in vegan junk food every once in a while, but I also like making healthier versions of unhealthy foods. So I made this vegan Alfredo sauce out of cauliflower!
The natural thing that most people probably think to put Alfredo sauce on is pasta, but feel free to get creative and try it on some other things. I put some of the Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce on potatoes and it was so delicious.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Serves: about 6 cups
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Place the chopped onion and minced garlic in a skillet and add a few tbsp. of water. Sauté covered on medium heat for about 20 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Cut the cauliflower into florets and cook in the broth until they are tender (about 10 minutes). Reserve 1/2 cup of broth and drain the rest.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the almond milk, salt, 1/2 cup of broth, onions, garlic, and cauliflower. Puree until smooth.
- If not using right away, store in a container with a lid in the refrigerator.