Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain some affiliate links, which means when you click, I get a small percentage of the purchase at no extra cost to you. This allows me to keep this website running, so feel free to click away! You can read my entire Affiliate Disclosure here.
I randomly came up with the recipe for this Tempeh Salad Sandwich a few years ago, and now it has become a staple in my house. When I first became a vegan, I bought a block of tempeh and didn’t know what to do with it. I looked up some recipe ideas online that used tempeh, and I saw a recipe for a tempeh salad sandwich. The recipe called for some non-vegan ingredients so I took a look into my fridge and magically came up with this sandwich.
The first time I made this sandwich my sister looked at me weird and said, “Is that tuna?” I laughed and said, “No, it’s tempeh. I am making a Tempeh Salad Sandwich. It is kind of like a tuna salad sandwich except that there is no dead fish on my plate.” If you are someone who misses tuna salad sandwiches, fear not, this sandwich is a great copycat. I would even say that it is better than tuna salad.
This recipe’s base is grated tempeh, and the simple dressing is made with hummus, relish, green onion, and mustard. Then the sandwich is layered with avocado, tomato, and lettuce. It is simply delicious!
- ⅓ package of tempeh
- 2 pieces of bread
- 2 tbsp. hummus
- 1 tbsp. relish
- 1 tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 1½ tbsp. chopped green onion
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- avocado (optional)
- tomato slices (optional)
- lettuce (optional)
- Cook the tempeh over boiling water in a double boiler for 20 minutes.
- Once the tempeh has cooled enough to touch, grate it against a grater until tuna-like pieces are formed.
- In a bowl, mix together the tempeh pieces, hummus, relish, whole grain mustard, green onion, salt, and pepper.
- Top your bread with avocado, tomato slices, lettuce, and the tempeh mixture.