Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain some affiliate links, which means when you click, I get a small percentage of the purchase at no extra cost to you. This allows me to keep this website running, so feel free to click away! You can read my entire Affiliate Disclosure here.
The last time that I had french toast was almost two years ago when I was a freshman in college. It was a weird time in my life when it came to food. I was slowly transitioning to a vegan diet after being a vegetarian for more than four years. I wouldn’t buy any food at the grocery store that contained animal products, but if I was going out to eat then I would occasionally order food that wasn’t vegan.
One time I was going to go to IHOP with a few of my friends, and I decided to order french toast (definitely not vegan). I remember not liking the french toast and having to force myself to eat it because I found the taste of the eggs to be overwhelming to my almost entirely vegan tastebuds. That is the last time that I have had french toast, until now.
This Peanut Butter, Jam, and Banana French Toast Sandwich is fantastic because not only does it NOT have an overwhelming egg taste (Duh! It’s vegan!), but it also is basically a peanut butter and jelly sandwich AND french toast combined! Of course, I had to add a banana because what is a vegan breakfast if it doesn’t involve a banana somewhere?
This breakfast is perfectly sweet, warm, wholesome, filling, peanut buttery, fruity, and loaded with flavor. Is there anything not to love about this breakfast? I think not.
- ¾ cup of almond milk
- 1 chopped pitted date
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of turmeric
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1-2 bananas, cut into thin rounds
- 3-4 tbsp. of peanut butter
- 3 tbsp. of jam
- Blend ½ cup of almond milk and the date, cinnamon, and turmeric in a blender until smooth. Add the remaining ¼ cup of almond milk and blend for a few more seconds.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and dip the slices of read in it, one at a time, coating them well.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Cook each bread slice for 2-3 minutes a side until golden brown.
- To assemble the sandwiches just add the peanut butter on the bottom of one french toast slice, place sliced banana on the peanut butter, add jam, and top with another french toast slice.