Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain some affiliate links, which means when you click, I get a small percentage of the purchase at no extra cost to you. This allows me to keep this website running, so feel free to click away! You can read my entire Affiliate Disclosure here.
Is Murad Cruelty-Free?
Murad has confirmed that they are 100% cruelty-free.
They don’t test their ingredients or final products on animals, and they don’t sell their products where animal testing is required by law.
Murad is certified cruelty-free by PETA.
Is Murad Vegan?
Not all of Murad’s products are vegan, but many of them are.
All of Murad’s vegan products are indicated as “formulated without animal-derived ingredients” on their website.
Here is a list of Murad’s vegan products broken down by category.
Vegan Cleansers & Toners
- Acne Control Clarifying Cleanser
- AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser
- Acne Control Clarifying Body Spray
- Refreshing Cleanser
- Prebiotic 4-in-1 MultiCleanser
- AHA/BHA/Retinoid Daily Clarifying Peel
- Vita-C Triple Exfoliating Facial
- Replenishing Multi-Acid Peel
- Skin Smoothing Polish
Vegan Serums & Treatments
- Retinol Youth Renewal Serum
- Rapid Dark Spot Correcting Serum
- Vita-C Glycolic Brightening Serum
- Revitalixir Recovery Serum
- InvisiScar Resurfacing Treatment
- Retinol Youth Renewal Eye Serum
- Rapid Relief Acne Spot Treatment
- Invisiblur Perfecting Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 30 | PA+++
- Multi-Vitamin Infusion Oil
- Retinol Youth Renewal Night Cream
- Nutrient-Charged Water Gel
- City Skin Overnight Detox Moisturizer
- Perfecting Day Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 30 | PA+++
- Acne Control Oil and Pore Control Mattifier Broad Spectrum SPF 45 | PA++++
- Age-Balancing Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF 30 | PA+++
Vegan Regimens & Kits
- Total Hydration With Murad
- Revitalize With Murad
- Bright at Home With Murad
- Radiance Revealed With Murad
- Rejuvenate On the Go With Murad
- Renewal at Home With Murad
- Revive Anywhere With Murad
- Female Collective x Murad Self-Care Set
- Youth Renewal Retinol Trial Kit
If you only want to shop at 100% cruelty-free and vegan brands click here.
Is Murad Owned By A Parent Company That Tests On Animals?
Murad is owned by Unilever, which is not a cruelty-free brand.
Is Murad Sold in China?
No, Murad is not sold in China.
Animal Testing is required by law in China for all foreign cosmetics companies. All American and European cosmetic brands that are sold in China must undergo animal testing.
Any brand that chooses to sell its products in China cannot be considered cruelty-free.
Even products that can bypass mandatory tests may still be pulled from the shelves by Chinese authorities to be tested on animals.
Murad was the first brand of clinical skincare products. Dr. Murad’s vision was to help people achieve the healthiest, most beautiful skin possible.
Email to the Company
Before classifying any brand as cruelty-free and vegan, I send them an email with the following questions.
- Are your products vegan? If only some are vegan, which ones?
- Are any of your products or ingredients tested on animals?
- Do you have a Leaping Bunny or PETA certification?
- Do your suppliers or any third parties test animals on your behalf?
- Does your company sell products in mainland China (except for Hong Kong and online sales)?
- Are you owned by a parent company that tests on animals?
This is how Murad responded to my email:
Murad never tests any products on animals & uses only ingredients that have not been animal tested. We only test on humans. Our products are sold in Hong Kong but because animal testing is only required in mainland China, we are exempt from the animal testing requirement.
While the vast majority of our topical formulas are vegan, a small number do contain trace amounts of natural ingredients like honey and beeswax as well as some marine-derived compounds. If you have a question about a specific product, please let us know. We’d be happy to confirm for you that the products you are using are vegan or to customize an entirely vegan regimen. All Murad products have the Leaping Bunny certification and we are a part of Unilever.