Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain some affiliate links, which means when you click, I get a small percentage of the purchase at no extra cost to you. This allows me to keep this website running, so feel free to click away! You can read my entire Affiliate Disclosure here.
Is Covergirl Vegan?
Unfortunately, most of Covergirl’s products are not labeled as vegan. Here are all of their vegan products:
- Clean Fresh Pressed Powder
- Clean Fresh Skin Milk Foundation
- Lash Blast Lash & Brow Serum
- Clean Fresh Hydrating Concealer
- Lash Blast Clean Volume Mascara
- Clump Crusher Extensions Mascara
- Clump Crusher Water Resistant Mascara
- Clump Crusher Mascara
- Exhibitionist Lid Paint Cream Eyeshadow
- Exhibitionist Lash Enhancing Liquid Eyeliner
- Outlast UltiMatte Liquid Lipstick
- Clean Fresh Tinted Lip Balm
- Clean Fresh Skincare Dry Skin Corrector Cream
- Clean Fresh Skincare Hydrating Cream Cleanser
- Clean Fresh Skincare Mattifying Oil-Free Moisturizer
- Clean Fresh Skincare Priming Glow Mist
- Clean Fresh Skincare Weightless Water Cream
If you only want to purchase products from 100% cruelty-free and vegan brands, click here.
Is Covergirl Owned By A Parent Company That Tests On Animals?
Yes, Covergirl is owned by Coty, which is not a cruelty-free company.
Is Covergirl Sold in Mainland China?
No, Covergirl is not sold in mainland China.
Animal Testing is required by law in China for all foreign cosmetics companies. All American and European cosmetic brands that are sold in China must undergo animal testing.
Any brand that chooses to sell its products in China cannot be considered cruelty-free.
Even products that can bypass mandatory tests may still be pulled from the shelves by Chinese authorities to be tested on animals.
Covergirl is a cosmetics category leader and innovator that celebrates authenticity, diversity, and self-expression through makeup. Covergirl holds an iconic position in the world of beauty, empowering makeup lovers to express their unique beauty for more than 60 years.
Email to the Company
Before classifying any brand as cruelty-free and vegan, I send them an email with the following questions.
- Are your products vegan? If only some are vegan, which ones?
- Are any of your products or ingredients tested on animals?
- Do you have a Leaping Bunny or PETA certification?
- Do your suppliers or any third parties test animals on your behalf?
- Does your company sell products in mainland China (except for Hong Kong and online sales)?
- Are you owned by a parent company that tests on animals?
This is how Covergirl responded to my email:
Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We appreciate your interest in the CoverGirl brand. We value your feedback and assure you your comments will be shared with the appropriate teams. We are happy to help you!
COTY INC does not perform, nor do we ever commission any third parties on our behalf to perform testing of our products or ingredients on animals. Attached please find our full Animal Testing Policy Statement.
We are very proud to be Leaping Bunny certified. We believe that animals being used for testing and laboratory experiments is wrong and we are committed to ending animal testing across the industry. We started our cruelty-free certification journey with CoverGirl, COTY INC’s largest makeup brand, to demonstrate our commitment to this issue and prove that achieving such an ambitious and rigorous certification can be done at scale. CoverGirl is the largest makeup brand to receive the Leaping Bunny certification. This is a positive step forward to make sure that more people can afford, find, and enjoy beautiful makeup products with the assurance that they are cruelty-free. We have started this process with CoverGirl, and we are committed to certifying additional COTY INC. Brands.
Our products do not contain or use in their manufacture any animal-derived ingredients with the exception of lanolin, beeswax, sodium Chondroitin sulfate, and atelocollagen. Lanolin is a natural by-product of processing sheep’s wool after it has been shorn, beeswax is a natural by-product of honeybees discarded in the hive, neither causing any harm to the animals, and the latter two ingredients are of marine origin. Our products do not contain any bovine, ovine, porcine, or caprine tissues, nor fluids from the encephalon, the spinal cord, or the eyes, or any other ingredient or material presenting risks of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs).